Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A Beachy Keen Shadowbox

Good afternoon!  I'm FINALLY able to make my post today.  So sorry I'm behind, but I've been having some internet issues, and it took a while to get my service up and running this morning.  We had some strong thunderstorms move through early this a.m., and my net has been down ever since!

It's time to share a fantastic and fun Peachy Keen Challenge!  Angelica has challenged us to create a shadowbox with a summer theme.  Well, of course I thought immediately of Swimtime Lulee, and Boogie Board Max, and these cute little animals from the Ocean Fun set, all from Peachy Keen Stamps.  I created this 8x8 layout with scraps of paper, and for the sand, I crumpled up some kraft card stock until it was broken down really well, then I peeled the layers apart in two pieces, exposing the fuzzy inside of the card stock.  I think that's called the faux suede technique?  Maybe??  Anyway, it's a neat look.  I sponged the edges of the sand with cocoa colored ink, and color spritzed it  with some chocolate chip and cocoa colored ink.  The adorable images were colored with Copics, and popped up on dimensionals.  I scattered some real seashells in the bottom of the shadowbox, and voila!  Summertime shadowbox project finished and ready for hanging!  Soooo cute!!



Here's a little closer view of some of the details.

 
I really hope you get to play along with this challenge.  These little boxes make great gifts, especially if you have a "beachy" or summer photo to add.  What a sweet and special gift for anyone!!   Now, you've just got to go over to the Peachy Keen Challenge Blog, to see what the rest of the talented girls have for your inspiration.  Thanks so much for stopping by today!  Have a blessed day filled with happy stamping!  Shadowbox stamping, that is!!  :-)

Love ya,

20 comments:

kadie said...

Absolutely fantastic!! The technique you dreamt up using the kraft paper, crumpling, peeling and inking is pure genius!! And this scene, oh this amazing scene!! You really took this challenge to the A++ level, Dear Lorie!! Fantastic. (my fave is the lobster) :)

Glora said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! It is AMAZING. The coloring is perfect and I love the seashells and the way you made the sand. AWESOME!

Jessie said...

Wow Lorie, this is so amazing!

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

OH MY GOODNESS... Lorie this card is incredible! So much to look at... absolutely amazing! It makes me want to head to the beach. I love it!!!

Angelica Suarez said...

Lorie this is just fantastic. I'm so glad you included the close up of your wonderful coloring. Loving the "faux suede" technique as well!! Big hugs Angelica

MiamiKel said...

I'm just speechless! This is so whimsical, so colorful, so fresh and wonderful in all ways possible! outstanding job, my friend! Just beautiful! xox0

Unknown said...

Wow Lorie!! I can smell the beach from here!! Awesome project my friend. LOVE your 'sand' and of course your colouring is as amazing as always. Hugs Viv xxx

Janice W. said...

Lorie you are an amazing artist! This is stunning and the sand looks so realistic the way you spritzed it and exposed the fuzzy insides. Beautiful work, as always!
Hugs, Janice

Kathy Czygan said...

Hi Lorie! This shadowbox is very cute! You really out-did yourself on this one! Your coloring is perfect and I love how the little lobster is peeking from behind the sea shells. Beautiful Job!!

KathyJ Peachy Keen Stamps said...

LA LA LA LORIE!! this is so beautiful and masterfully done! I too am happy to see the close up! SO colorful and completely 3D! Amazing job as always!! :)BIG hugs and lots of Love, Kathy

Brenda said...

I love your shadowbox Lorie! It is a perfect beach scene! I would love to hang this in my house.

Jackie said...

Brilliant shadow box, love the scene :o)
Jackie xx

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

REally impressed with your beautiful shadow box. TFS

Anonymous said...

This is such a happy project! I just love the shadow box and the colors - oh my! Amazing as always Lorie - I don't know how you do it!

Marlene said...

Oh my gosh - this is just absolutely adorable!

bumblebee creations said...

LOVVVVVVeeee it Lorie! so super cute!

My Creative Time said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE This Lorie!! WOW, your creativity just blows my mind!!
I can't wait to meet the "Coloring Queen" in person @ CHA!
Bigh Hugs,
Emma;)

Samantha Casey said...

Lorie! This shadowbox is so much fun! I love all of the elements you used, the sand and the sea shells add so much texture and dimension. This is just stunning, I really love what you created! This is just so so cute!
-Samantha

Miss Giebel said...

Hi Lorie,
I adore your shadow box! I love everything about it! I love the real seashells, the way you colored the little girl and boy, the fish, whale and super funny lobster! I also love how you used sandpaper...so clever!!
Wonderful!!
~Heidi
xo

Melanie said...

Hi Lorie! I love this project...the sand effect is fantastic! I was trying to find an email link on your blog, but was unsuccessful, so thought I'd let you know through a comment instead. (I could just be blind though! lol) I borrowed your idea for the sand for a card I'm posting this Saturday (June 26/10). I'm including a "thanks" and a link back to your blog (and this post in specific).

So THANKS again for the constant inspiration, and for sharing your wonderful tips!

Hope all is well with you, and even though I don't always leave comments (shame on me!), I do love to stop by your blog to see what you've been up to! Take care!

>